Focus on Inclusive Recruitment
Creating an equal, diverse and inclusive recruitment process is essential for building a more representative and equitable workforce.
The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development’s (CIPD) Inclusion At Work Report 2022 highlighted that 47% of employers have no inclusion and diversity (I&D) strategy or plan in place. As a result, the CIPD recommended that employers ‘proactively implement measures’ and ‘focus on inclusive recruitment’.
Steps To Improve Your Process
Here are some steps you can take to ensure an equal, diverse and inclusive recruitment process:
- Training and Awareness: Provide training for all employees involved in the recruitment process to raise awareness about unconscious bias and its impact on decision-making. Make sure your team understands the importance of diversity and inclusion.
- Job Descriptions and Requirements: Review and revise job descriptions and requirements to ensure they are inclusive and free from gender or cultural bias. Focus on the actual skills and qualifications necessary for the role.
- Blind CV Screening: Implement blind resume screening techniques where personal information like name, gender, and address is redacted to reduce unconscious bias.
- Diverse Interview Panels: Include a diverse group of interviewers to reduce the likelihood of bias and to make candidates from underrepresented groups feel more comfortable.
- Use Assessment Tools: Utilize skills and personality assessments that are validated to be bias-free. This can help identify the most qualified candidates based on their abilities.
- Inclusive Language: Use inclusive language throughout the recruitment process, from job postings to interview questions, to create a welcoming environment for all candidates.
- Feedback: Regularly gather feedback from interviewers and assessors to ensure the process remains fair and free from bias. Make necessary adjustments based on this feedback.
- Continuous Improvement: Continuously assess and improve your recruitment process. Stay updated on best practices and emerging research on diversity and inclusion in hiring.
Creating an equal, diverse, and inclusive recruitment process requires ongoing effort and a commitment from all levels of the organisation. It’s not just about ticking boxes but creating a culture of equity and belonging.
Contact JS Recruitment
Whether it’s advice on your recruitment process or a live vacancy to recruit for, our team are ready to support you.
To speak to a member of our team contact us on 01977 269069 or firstname.lastname@example.org.