Over the past 6 months we’ve seen a growing trend of candidates who are currently commuting across the region but are now looking for a role closer to home. Often the reason for wanting to leave their current position is not because they do not enjoy it but because of other factors that are having an impact on their personal lives; length of commute, cost of commute, delays/cancellations of public transport, cost of parking and traffic conditions.
When we ask candidates, ‘what’s important to you?’, priorities include work-life balance, job satisfaction, daily commute and salary level. With so many facing the dilemma of whether to stay local or not we thought we’d outline some of the pros and the cons.
- You could achieve a better work-life balance and improve your mental health as you spend less time commuting and more time at home
- By reducing your commute, you could save on public transport and fuel costs
- Parking locally can prove to be cheaper
- Wakefield is forecasted to be in the top 20 fastest growing cities in 2018* and investment in the West Yorkshire area continues with regeneration** boosting businesses and inspiring new enterprises which in turn will mean more job opportunities
- Salary levels are typically higher in bigger cities and towns however, as you will most likely be saving on commuting expenses does this balance out?
- As there is demand for local roles the competition is fierce however, new opportunities frequently arise
The above is not an exhaustive list and ultimately, it’s a personal decision that must fit your circumstances, but if you are considering a career move please check our Jobs Board for current opportunities or feel free to get in touch on 01977 269069 for a confidential chat.